Social Work Supervisors: Celebrate the Victories


I provide private supervision to Social Work clients working toward their clinical licensure. Most of the topics my clients bring to their sessions are struggles or issues they are having with cases, or particular workplace situations. I help them problem solve these circumstances with the goal of having them gain not just the knowledge, but also the confidence to know they can solve any similar situations in the future. Recently, one of my clients came to session with an entirely different need, the need to celebrate a job well done.
            
Most sessions with my clients start with me usually inviting them to identify the topic they wish to discuss which then usually begins a discussion about challenges they are experiencing. But last week, one of my clients said, “So I actually had a really good experience, can I tell you about it?” They proceeded to tell me about the incredible work they had done with a client and the fact that their work had been acknowledged and appreciated by the family they had been working with. I was thrilled for my client, after all, they had received feedback about the positive impact their work had made. So, we celebrated! We talked about how positive the experience was, and I offered my client congratulations and positive affirmations.

After the session concluded and I was making some final notes for the day, I was struck by this thought: Supervision should not just be about discussing challenges and issues, it should also be about celebrating victories. Supervision should be about celebrating the amazing work that our colleagues are doing every day and helping to build each other up.

March is Social Work month, and I would like to invite Social Work supervisors to find one thing to praise each of their supervisees/clients about in regard to their work. Let them know that their work is seen and appreciated. It will make a world of difference for your supervisees, and will also be a positive experience for you as well!

How do you celebrate your Social Work supervisees? Drop a comment below and let us know!

You can also visit and follow our blog: https://besupervised.blogspot.com/ for more content related to Social Work supervision.




Comments